Please note that the dates below are estimated projections, subject to change.
- Phase 1 consists of the reconstruction of the Harvard Street Railroad Bridge in Medford and the Medford Street Railroad Bridge in Somerville as well as the demolition of the MBTA-owned facilities at 21 Water Street in Cambridge. This work began in 2013 and is expected to be complete in 2015.
- Phase 2/2A extends service from the (new) Lechmere Station to Washington Street and Union Square Stations. The construction of this phase is estimated to be complete in mid-2017, with completion of testing and commencement of revenue service by the end of 2017.
- Phase 3 constructs the vehicle maintenance and storage facility (VMSF). As the full build-out of the VMSF is not needed to support Phase 2/2A passenger service to Washington Street and Union Square Stations, Phase 3 will commence construction in February 2016 and is scheduled to be completed six months prior to the scheduled date for Phase 4 revenue service to College Avenue Station.
- Phase 4 extends service from Washington Street Station (completed as part of Phase 2) to College Avenue Station. The bulk of construction is anticipated to begin in late 2015. Phase 4 construction is scheduled to be complete by the beginning of 2020 with testing to be complete and revenue service to begin in June 2020.
The work associated with Phases 2-4 have been further broken down into the following guaranteed maximum price (GMP) contracts:
- GMP-1: Procurement of long lead items (bridge steel, special track work, signal and electrical equipment) associated with Phase 2/2A and 4. This work began in October 2014.
- GMP-2: Construction of utility relocation work elements that do not require additional FTA approval (Phase 2/2A and Phase 4 utility relocation work). This includes construction of utility bridges at the Broadway, Medford Street and School Street bridges. This work began in October 2014.
- GMP-3: Phase 2/2A work approved by the Request for Letter of No Prejudice (LONP) by FTA on July 9, 2014 for drainage work in the Millers River area and relocation of the Fitchburg Main Line between the Red Bridge area and Union Square. This work began in October 2014.
- GMP-4A: Procurement, fabrication and installation pricing for viaduct steel. This work began in November 2014.
- GMP-4: This work includes the balance of the work for Phase 2/2A. It also includes Tufts interlocking and retaining walls north of College Avenue, both of which are located in the Phase 4 area.
- GMP-5: The balance of the work for Phase 4. This work is anticipated to begin in November 2015.
- GMP-6: Remediation and demolition at the Maintenance Facility site (Phase 3). This work is projected to begin in February 2016.
- GMP-7: Construction of Maintenance Facility, Transportation Building and Train Yard (Phase 3). This work is projected to begin in July 2016.